Friday, February 27, 2009

Bringing Bristol Home

My sister Nancy and her husband David have two wonderful children, my niece Camille and nephew Austin and are about to welcome two more into their home. They are adopting siblings from Ethiopia! I think that is too cool and can't wait to meet my new niece(s) and/or nephew(s)! (they are going to be between the ages of 0-3 years). They told us about a month ago but I haven't blogged about it yet and an email I received today reminded me I needed to!
(below is a pic of me and all my current nieces and nephews)
I received an email from a family I love to death, Courtney and Joey Lankford. Joey's father, Monty, ran for Congress and I worked for him so had the privilege of getting to know all of his wonderful family. Joey and Courtney ironically enough, are also adopting and from Ethiopia! Adopting is very expensive (I believe the average is $20,000-$30,000)! So to help with the costs, Courtney and Joey are selling the cutest shirts: Bringing Bristol Home (They already have three children: Briley, Braxton and Barron...see a pattern here?)!

The shirts are an outline of Africa with a heart where Ethiopia is located. They also have the verse from Matthew 18:5 "And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me."

Here is the email Courtney sent out:
Hello Everyone,

As many of you know Joey and I are in the process of adopting a little girl from Ethiopia. This journey has been amazing so far! We expect our referral sometime late summer/ early fall and to travel to meet her and bring her home hopefully by the end of the year.

We have had really cool t shirts made to help us raise some money! We are selling them for $20. The sizes range from xs to 2xl. A picture of the shirts is attached – so check it out! Please consider buying one or two or…!!!

Thanks for helping us bring Bristol home…

You can keep up with our journey by following the blog link below my name!
Oh, and please forward this to anyone you think may be interested.

Thanks for your help!
courtney lankford
www.thesedreamsofmine.blogspot.com/

courtneylankford@tlcmedical.cc

I am definitely going to order one to support their efforts and if any of you have a special place in your heart for adopting, I encourage you to order one too! And I'm going to tell my sister she needs to create one for the two she will be bringing home! I know Franklin and Columbia, TN may not be the most diverse area in the world to grow up so I am so excited that my new niece(s) and,or nephew(s) will have Bristol nearby that "looks" like them and shares the same home country. And who knows, maybe they can have play dates with Zahara Jolie-Pitt too! :)

Here are some statistics about Ethiopia and why many like the French's and Lankford's are looking there to adopt:

  • One in ten children die before their first birthday
  • One in six children die before their fifth birthday
  • 44% of the population of Ethiopia is under 15 years old
  • 60% of children in Ethiopia are stunted because of malnutrition
  • The median age in Ethiopia is 17.8 years
  • 1.5 million people are infected with AIDS (6th highest in the world)
  • 720,000 children have been orphaned by AIDS alone, and there are 4.6 million orphans in Ethiopia.
  • Per capita, Ethiopia receives less aid than any country in Africa
  • In the 90s the population (3%) grew faster than food production (2.2%)
  • Drought struck the country from 2000-2002 (first year no crops, second year no seeds, third year no animals)
  • Half the children in Ethiopia will never attend school. 88% will never attend secondary school.
  • Coffee prices (Ethiopia’s only major export) fell 40-60% from 1998-2002.
  • Ethiopia’s doctor to children ratio is 1 to 24,000.
And perhaps more important reasons:
  • Children are a Heritage of the Lord. Psalms 127:3
  • Religion that God our father accepts as pure and faultless is this: To look after orphans and widows in their distress... James 1:27
  • For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me... Matthew 25:35
  • If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:17-18

Please join me in helping "Bring Bristol Home" and get a cute shirt too!

2 comments:

Haro said...

Hey!! That is too cool and I'm so happy for David and Nancy and especially those kids!! I had no idea about the extent of all the horrible things going on in Ethiopa!! And,I love that shirt!!! If you bring me a medium, I'll pay you back when you get here!

Courtney said...

hi friend,
great post:)
i have shirts in my car as does joey. we can meet you at tlc or anywhere that is convienient. just name the place and time and i will be there.
i wear the xs and think it will be fine for you too!
let me know when we can meet! thanks- courtney