Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Putting a little spice in my marriage...literally!

One thing Josh Brown did not do on December 31st was marry a cook. We literally eat out so much we get sick of having to think of places to go.

But tonight, Josh may be the happiest husband in the world and I may be the happiest wife. How did I not know about Dinner A'fare and Super Supper until recently? The address and phone numbers to those places should be handed out to new brides before the ink on the marriage certificate is dry.

So after nearly two months of feeling like a loser wife when Josh walked in the door from work to find an empty kitchen table, I finally I ordered 3 Super Supper meals online last night and drove to pick them up this afternoon. Then I get there and they also have a grab and go freezer so I ended up getting a few more meals and side dishes. They are in aluminum tin pans or in Ziplock bags and everything is already mixed up - spices and all!

It was so much easier than going to the grocery store which I HATE. I honestly would rather work in the office of Senator Al Fraken than push a grocery cart down the aisle at Kroger. Not sure why I hate grocery stores so much. Maybe it's because I've always hated my natural curly hair and my sisters told me that the grocery store was out of the straight hair seeds the day I was born so my parents had to buy the curly headed seeds to plant on my head. Whatever the reason, walking in and out of Super Suppers with all my food already neatly put together in a box was like an ocean breeze to the face, rain on a tin roof or receiving a pair of diamond earrings just because. OK, maybe not that wonderful but close.

So tonight we had chicken bow tie pasta and yummy garlic bread AND I even baked (I guess you can call it that) a chocolate pecan pie! There is some heating of the oven, stovetop, and stirring of ingredients so I'm calling it cooking. In addition to being yummy, I think we'll be able to save money doing this instead of eating out. Plus it was so nice to have a meal in our own kitchen!


The picture above is of some of my "goodies". New Orleans Meatloaf, Moroccan Chicken, Twice Baked Potatoes, Parmesan Chicken with Creamy Sage Sauce, Caesar Penne Pasta, Oven Roasted Potatoes and More! Josh finds it strange for me to take these pictures but I really think it adds depth and legitimacy to the blog. haaa!

BEFOREAFTER - with Purity Vanilla Bean ice cream! SOOOO good!

We also had two wines tonight. One we picked up in Paris while we were there last weekend and it was on the kitchen table so we opened it. Then Josh remembered a dessert wine he had picked up in a village in France that needed to be opened before it was too old. So in addition to our Paris, TN Cabernet we enjoyed a 2004 Muscat de Beaumes de Venise. So we ate, drank and were merry tonight. I know Josh has probably wished I was more like Martha Stewart or Paula Dean who loved being in the kitchen and had wonderful culinary skills. But tonight I was able to pretend I did. And as long as males can't seem to figure out how to put the toilet seat down (which requires NO skill whatsoever), I am not going to sweat not being able to whip up a tea-smoked duck breast with roasted peaches and walnut-parsley fried rice. And who needs to when you have Super Suppers?

3 comments:

The Hardin Family said...

You are so funny! We also do those too! If you get really bored and brave you can actually make the meals yourself per the instuctions of course. I think there may also be a new one over on Carothers. And we eat out so much,too. We are both to the point where NOTHING sounds good to us,we just need to eat. I've been so sick this time the last thing I want to do is look a raw meat. But I'm almost over it. So back to the kitchen i will have to go:)

The Roper's said...

That is to funny! So I am right there with you...We go to my Mom's for dinner every night :) Spoiled! I would like to think that I could cook if I ever needed to, just don't need to! Like I said...spoiled. That place sounds great!

The Hadfields said...

Paul and I were married for 3 or 4 years before we started eating at home on a regular basis. It's always been a big joke between us!! Having kids kind of makes you have to cook, or at least, eat in.
What a great idea though!!