Friday, April 03, 2009

Viva Las Colorado!

What a fun past week! Last Thursday Josh and I went to see Jersey Boys with friends Nathan and Allison Poss. We went and saw Wicked with them in Chicago back in October so made plans quite a while ago to go see Jersey Boys together when it came to Nashville. It was a great play but we got in late and I had to be at the airport at 5:30 the next morning! My sister Amy, brother in law Scott, nephew Luke, niece Caroline and my mom and dad all decided to fly out to Colorado for the weekend and have a little family ski trip. The rest of my family had originally been scheduled to leave on Thursday but a big snow storm hit Denver and their Thursday flight was cancelled so we all ended up being on the same flight EARLY Friday morning.

We spent the majority of time this trip in Winter Park, CO which is about 30 minutes outside of Granby. My sister and brother in law love to ski so they were excited about all the new powder on the slopes from the big snow. My nephew took his first skiing class and it was so cute! I also ventured out onto a few bunny slopes myself. It was a fun little family trip and I enjoyed getting to spend the weekend with the fam. I do however still have a lot of adjusting to do to CO. Everytime I go I have altitude sickness which means I have a headache and nose bleeds the entire time. I just don't do a good enough job keeping hydrated I guess but Josh assures me I'll eventually get adjusted.

Sunday I went with mom and dad on a snow cat tour. It was really fun and I was glad to get up on some of the steep slopes without having to ski down them! After the tour, I took a shuttle back down into Denver to meet Josh out in Vegas. My flight was delayed a few hours and so I spent about 5 hours in the airport. Then our flight was VERY bumpy into Vegas - to the point I thought we may be diverted due to the wind. I was so relieved to finally be on the ground. And I thought Chicago was supposed to be the "Windy City"!

But it was well worth the bumpy ride to see Josh at baggage claim and knowing we would be spending the next 4 days in my FAVORITE city in the world!! We stayed at the Palazzo Hotel which is The Venetian's newest section. It was AWESOME! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone (of course have no idea how much it really costs since it was a work conference for Josh and we didn't have to pay for it!). All of the rooms are suites and ours had 3 TVs in it! One even in the bathroom! The service was awesome, the room service was yummy (however I now know it is referred to as "in-suite dining" not room service in fancy hotels). :)

For those of you who do not know, Josh and I both LOVE LOVE LOVE to gamble (my dad absolutely hates this but we just can't resist!). :) So Josh and I spent most of our time at the Craps table. Josh was very unlucky this trip and when he loses he gets pretty irritated. I just enjoy playing the games even if I am losing. Of course generally I am not losing all that much because unlike Josh, I play with smaller amounts so I can play longer. (I did get a bit more crazy this trip once I got up and started playing with the hotel's money instead of mine!) One night I came back to the hotel room with $1400 and I woke up Josh to show him and he groggily asked me if I had withdrawn the money from the ATM! HA! He couldn't believe one of us was actually winning I guess. Then I won even more the next day. Of course we used most of my winnings on playing while we were there but I came back with quite a bit so the trip ended up being virtually free for us - even with Josh's bad luck. I also shopped a little bit if you can even call it that.
"Shopping" in Vegas for me merely consists of me walking into stores I have no business being in and browsing at items I can't afford to buy. I am amazed at how anyone can afford to shop in those stores! And of course the sales associates can always pinpoint folks like me and treat me accordingly. It really is annoying to me at how snooty those folks can be and I want to remind them that I doubt very seriously they can afford a $13,000 scarf either. But whatever, I enjoyed my window shopping and even splurged on a ring I had my eye on as a reward for my successful nights at the Craps table.

I was so sad to leave on Thursday but we really had perfect timing getting home. We were the last flight out of Vegas into Nashville that didn't get delayed. Shortly after we landed, the storms rolled through and we (along with a few others) pulled over and took shelter at a nearby church that was open. The funny thing is as soon as we got on the interstate, I had told Josh that we were now probably on the most dangerous part of our trip even after all the bumpy plane rides. And once I heard the sirens, I wanted off the road-there was no way I wanted to be forced out of the car into a ditch if we drove into a tornado! So we got off the road a few minutes and then headed home once the warning subsided.


So despite the snow, wind and storms...I had a wonderful week with my family and husband and thank God for bringing us all home safely.

4 comments:

Marsha's Mpressions said...

Welcome back! I've missed you in blogland. You have created a blogger monster. :)

Sounds like you had a great time! I loved those umbrellas hanging at the mall.

Notice you have a new follower? Lindsay is blogging now too!

The Hadfields said...

We talked about going to Las Vegas this week but I'm not sure it's going to work out! Looks like you had a fun time there and in CO!!

Did you finish law school? Are you working now? Just wasn't sure...

Jenny Beth said...

So fun!!! I love Vegas Baby!!!

Haro said...

HA! Your title to this made me laugh!! I so wish I could join the girl's trip! Perhaps if I keep on the Dave Ramsey plan, one of these days I'll be able to jet off to Vegas!! ha!