Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tokyo!

Ok, so here is my blog entry for Japan...FINALLY! I know everyone has just been on the edge of their seats. ha! So, Japan as you can expect was amazing! It was so awesome to hang out with Lori again and see where's she's been living for the past few years. The plane ride over was not bad at all! It was a 13 hour flight and I slept for 10 1/2 hours! So when I arrived, I was ready to go!
First, when we landed we had to be inspected by the Tokyo Health Dept. because of the swine flu outbreak and were all issued masks we could wear if we wanted. I took full advantage of my new accessory and met Lori like this! ha!
On arrival day, we went to the Tokyo Government Building, Kabukicho and Shibuya. Lori wasted no time in letting me see the must sees of Japan which included "hosts" that walk around the busy areas at night. I didn't take a great pic of them while I was there but here is a pic I found on google that sums up what these guys look like! From what I understand, they are paid to sit and talk to you. Yes, they are men. And no, we did not order a hostess with the mostest. But there's always next year.
Day 2 we went to Odaiba. We visited the Toyota Showroom and Leisure Land which is such a fun place! It is full of all kinds of games and these photo boths called purikura. If I could get a booth over here I would start a new business! They were so fun. Here we are some of our purikura shots!

We also went to a science museum and it was not so fun but it did allow this photo op with our cool 3D goggles so it was worth it.

Day 3 in Asakusa was really neat (this was the old city where it looked like what you think of when you think of Japan). We also went to the Imperial Palace and checked out the Emperor's new clothes, Hibiya Park and walked every single street in Ginza. We were so pooped by the end of the day we literally sat in Mark City for an hour just people watching. The Japanese people are also SOOOO stylish. Unlike here in America where I will go to the grocery in my pajama pants, they are always dressed up. And by dressed up I mean, they have on their Prada, Chanel, Dolce and Gabbana, Gucci, etc... And it was a virtual Louis Vuitton parade. Even the men carried LVs. So stylish and even more depressing, so skinny. Here are some pics from day 2. I also chased down a real Geisha!


Day 4 was spent in Harajuki (shout out to Gwen Stefani). We went to the Meiji Shrine and I met Akira (Lori's boyfriend). Both were really nice! ha! This was a "lucky" day on their calendar too so we caught two different traditional style weddings. Then that night we went back to Shibuya for Karaoke! We had our own private room so we could sing as loudly and badly as we wanted...and did.

Day 5 we went to Kamakura and saw Daibutsu (the big Buddha), Hasseidera and shopping. We ended the night at TGI Fridays so I could finally eat...kidding! The best part about TGI Fridays was that they had actual Diet Pepsi which in the states I hate. But I was craving either a Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi so badly I would have paid $10 for one, and almost did at our hotel. For some reason they do not sell Diet Coke in Japan, it is Coke Zero which is NOT Diet Coke. I think I missed Diet Coke most, right behind Josh of course! :)





My last day there was not the best day I've ever had and I broke my camera so that is also why there are no pictures. We spent most of the day hoping I hadn't lost all my pictures of the trip!
And finally, I think what I will take back from my trip to the far away land of the rising sun (it is indeed that) with a totally different culture than the U.S., is that I love their toilets. I felt like I was ready to be rocketed off this puppy! The seat was even heated! I even had to call Josh and request two for our next house...and that call cost $1.99 a minute from my cell phone so that should tell you how impressed I was.

So all in all, I had a WONDERFUL trip and I'm already saving to go back...I left a purse there while shopping one day that apparently is not sold in the U.S. so guess that is reason enough to go back!

Thanks to Lori my wonderful Tokyo tour guide. Josh had just gone to Japan a few years ago and said that without a shadow of a doubt, I experienced a side of Japan that he did not! And that is exactly what made my trip so special.

2 comments:

Lori said...

YAY!!!! I loved the entry!!!! And, so flattered you included my karaoke pic that looks like I either can't hit the high note or..I have diahrea. HA! Neither was the case for all your other reader's information! haaa! You must come back!!! Me and the geisha and girls with vampire fangs are waiting on you! And, that host photo made me laugh out loud!!! HAAAAAAAA!

Marsha's Mpressions said...

Mary Kate,

Looks like you and Lori had a "once in a life time" wonderful time. BTW, Lori's boyfriend is cute!