Wednesday, April 21, 2010

19 Weeks: We're 47.5% of the way there!



Our baby weighs about 8 1/2 ounces and measures 6 inches, head to bottom (about the size of an heirloom tomato).

(NOTE: For the first 20 weeks, when a baby's legs are curled up against its torso, measurements are taken from the top of its head to its bottom — the "crown to rump" measurement. After 20 weeks, measurements are from head to toe.)
Her arms and legs are in the right proportions to each other and the rest of her body now. She is supposed to be sleeping a lot (around 20 hours a day). But if she's anything like me, I bet she's staying awake more and taking in as much of the action as she can!

Between now and the time I deliver her, she will increase in size by more than 15 times! The growth that occurs each week is truly remarkable. It is so neat to think how much she has grown over the past few months! She was just a small embryo at 4 weeks and only the size of a poppy seed. It's no wonder we weren't able to see her on the first ultrasound we had at 4 weeks. Just 10 weeks ago, she was still only the size of a grape!
“I sing for joy at the works of Your hands.” – Psalm 92:4

I feel like my entire pregnancy shouts the existence of God and is such a great reminder of what a wonderful Creator He is! I already pray our baby girl will always know and love the Lord and will never forget that she was "fearfully and wonderfully made..." And oh what a blessing it is for me to be reminded of that same thing and especially to feel, witness and experience that wonderful creation first hand! (Sure I could do without feeling the heartburn and witnessing the butt expansion)! :)
I think pregnancy also makes me understand a bit more clearly the depth of love my own parents have for me. I have not even met my little girl yet but already love her so much. I have been praying for her health since my postive pregnancy test. Heck, I am already praying for her future husband!
Of course God knew our baby girl before He even formed her in my womb. How cool is that?! I can't wait to watch her grow up and discover the talents God has blessed her with, her unique personality develop and see God's special plan for her unfold.

2 comments:

Jane and Matthew said...

Hmmmm. all these updates but not a belly shot anywhere! You prob. aren't even showing yet!

Dana said...

Mary Kate---I was so happy to find your blog...and am so excited you are having a baby...girl! They are the best! Hope you are well! Check out my blog, too...www.andrewsovertherainbow.blogspot.com...and leave me a comment!