Saturday, June 12, 2010

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes

So after being pregnant for nearly 7 months, I thought I'd share a few of my favorite things for my fellow preggo friends (or those that may become preggo soon)!  I was really afraid I wouldn't find any cute maternity clothes but they definitely have come a long way since these days:


My first maternity clothes purchases and some I have actually worn more than any others were made at Otter Creek's Consignment Sale!  http://www.ottercreeksale.com/.  I found some great bargains there and can't wait to go back and shop for Mary Harper at their next one in August!  (I didn't know I was having a little girl at their last one in March)!

One of my "splurges" that I have definitely gotten my wear out of are Paige Maternity Boyfriend Jeans.  These are a bit on the pricey side but they are great to wear with heels or flip-flops (as my feet start hurting more, flip-flops are beginning to be my shoe of choice)! http://www.zappos.com/paige-premium-denim-maternity-jimmy-westbourne-in-rebel-rebel
This side tie top by Jules and Jim works great with the boyfriend jeans.  I also have the dress in the same floral material and didn't realize it was the same material until I got it home! 


Another one of my favorite discounted finds was online at Old Navy.  I recently ordered one of their navy bathing suit cover-ups and I soon as it arrived I knew it would actually work great as a dress!  It has a turquoise thread running through it so it looks really cute with a chunky turquoise necklace.  You can dress it up or down and it only cost $16.50!  So I had to go back and order it in black too - which I wore with some cute black wedges tonight but will definitely work with yes, you guessed it...black flip-flops! http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=54277&vid=&pid=754118&scid=754118032
This long white dress I haven't even worn yet but thought it would be perfect for a hot summer day...or stroll on the beach!  I got this one at Motherhood Maternity and is pretty reasonably priced at $49.  http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=978950022&MasterCategory_Id=MC3


I've also gotten quite a few dresses from Pickles and Ice Cream but try to stay out of that store as much as possible as it is really too expensive - especially when you can find cute alternatives at different places.  But it is worth a visit especially if you have a special occasion coming up.  I did recently see they just got this dress in and love it!  Since it comes in hot pink, I think it would be perfect for one of Mary Harper's baby showers so it just might show up in my closet soon!http://www.picklesandicecream.com/112500m.html
Another comfortable item I wear quite a bit is my Juicy Maternity Tracksuit - I literally throw on the pants as soon as I get home everyday!  I haven't seen any in the terry cloth material so they are probably more of a fall/winter item but they're so comfortable I wear it at home year long.  I will say that if you already have the regular pants, I would just order the hoodie because even the non-maternity pants I have work great.  But you can tell a big difference in the regular vs. maternity hoodie.  I'll be bringing this outfit to the hospital with me in September as I think it will be a comfortable outfit to wear home.
A favorite non-apparel items is Mary Kay Extra Emollient Night Cream (thanks to my friend Natalie Dodd).  It's not made specifically to stop stretch marks but so far so good for me!  It's only $13 and I generally use it at night before bed and it keeps my skin feeling hydrated well into the next day.  The directions say for more hydration to wet the area you are applying it to with water first...but I took it one step further and add Palmer's Moisturizing Body Oil first, then apply the Mary Kay cream.  I guess we'll know in a few months if the stretch marks come or not but for now, it seems to be working!  I may start using this in the winter time too when my skin is extra dry.


I just recently started needing this next item but it has been a lifesaver!  I didn't realize at first why I would need a body pillow to sleep but I found out at around 24 weeks!  I got the Snoogle Original online at target.com for $49.99.  There were some I found online that were more expensive and may be better but I went with the Snoogle because it was more reasonably priced and still had good reviews.  The only thing I don't like is it didn't come with a pillow case but it does make sleeping lots easier with the added support!  (I think you can order a case for $19.99).  It is supposed to be helpful after pregnancy too with recovering from the actual delivery and also if you nurse in bed.

And my last favorite item during my pregnancy so far has been something I've always loved, but even more so now for some reason...COOKIE CRISP!  I think I have eaten at least one bowl every day for the past 6 months!  It may not be the healthiest cereal on the grocery shelf, but it certainly has helped satisfy my chocolate cravings!

One item I am thinking about getting for post pregnancy is something called Shrinkx Hips. It supposedly works thanks to the hormone Relaxin, which loosens pelvic joints and ligaments for childbirth.  Relaxin then stays in your system up to 8 weeks before joints and ligaments harden in place. They claim wearing the belt during this time lets you permanently narrow your hips by providing constant, even pressure during the first 8 weeks after delivery. If you've used this or know anything about it, let me know if it's worth the money!  By the way, something tells me the model in the picture did NOT just give birth 8 weeks ago.
So there are just a few items I have really liked so far - in addition of course to the all the wonderful moments that come along with being pregnant.  Of course there are definitely moments of pregnancy that aren't always so fun, but I have found that if "I simply remember my favorite things" (and pour myself a bowl of Cookie Crisp) "then I don't feel so bad!" 

1 comment:

Joni said...

Never heard of Shrinkx, but hips were never my problem. It has been the little pockets of fat around my belly button that hang around no matter how many crunches I do. Maybe I could have just moved the shrinkx up to my belly!