Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Welcome Naomi...My New Niece!

Josh and I are so excited to welcome our third niece, Naomi!  I am so proud of my sister and brother-in-law and my niece and nephew.  They are about to open their home and their hearts to a brand new child and new little sister! 

I can't help but think of how drastically little Naomi's life has just changed.  And now that I am pregnant, I can't help but think about how different our little Mary Harper will enter this world versus how Naomi entered this world.  

Naomi was born into one of the most poverty stricken areas in the world, unwanted, abandoned by her parents and extremely malnourished.  Our little Mary Harper will be born into one of the wealthiest counties in the United States, to overly protective parents who can't wait to meet her, a loving family and will never be wanting for anything.  While in Naomi's home country of Ethiopia, the vast majority spend their meager incomes on the basic necessities of life. 

Thousands of children die each day across the globe due to poverty.  And while I wish that number was zero, I am so thankful that at least one little girl will no longer be one of those children.  And despite how she entered this world, she will now be loved and have a world of opportunities at her finger tips.  And lucky for Mary Harper, she will be one of her first cousins, her playmate and friend thanks to one family from Columbia, TN.  It really makes me think more about what I can do to help.  Josh and I have often talked about adopting...but lately Josh has said let's see how we do with one first! :)  So for now, I will be content showering my new niece with lots of love...and I will probably be tempted to want to spoil her just a TINY bit too.  :)

Please pray for safe travels for my sister's family as they go to Ethiopia to pick up my new niece and also for a smooth transition for all involved. (I am sure I will have more pictures to post once we meet them at the airport upon their return)!

Here are some thoughts from my brother-in-law David as they prepare to depart on their journey:

On the very day that I flew into Iraq -- into a war that I feared would take my life -- God was preparing the next phase of our family's journey. In a village in Africa, my second daughter and youngest child was born. I did not know at that time she was destined to be ours, but I did not need to know.

This week, Nancy, Camille, Austin, and I fly to Adis Ababba, Ethiopia, to finalize the adoption of little Konjit. We will name her Naomi Konjit French, to join her sister Camille Ruth French -- so that our Ruth will help bring our Naomi from a land of want to a land of plenty, where our people will be her people, and our God will be her God.

Please be patient in our blogging absence. Please pray for us that our journey will be safe, that Naomi will know that she is loved, and that we will have the grace and wisdom to be the parents she deserves.

1 comment:

Jane and Matthew said...

Naomi is beautiful,and I love how your sister and brother-in-law picked the names...very fitting.