Saturday, March 12, 2011

Amazing Love

I know that Easter is later this year (April 24) but I'm ready for Spring and excited for another first holiday for Mary Harper!  So I have ordered her cute spring and Easter outfits, ordered her an Easter basket and tonight started searching for age appropriate Easter goodies!  While I was searching through some cool developmental toys online, I heard Mary Harper stirring on the video baby monitor.  I looked up and noticed she had kicked off her blanket so went upstairs to cover her back up.  When I got up there and saw my sweet baby sleeping, I couldn't resist!  I picked her up and rocked her in my arms while she slept.  As I was staring at her, I was overcome with just how much I love her...and thought how she will never understand just how much she is loved.

Then it hit me how God's love for me is beyond my comprehension.  Staring at my baby, I can't fathom EVER sacrificing her for anything!  And that is just what God did for me...he sent His Son to die for ME.  Wow.  The thoughts I had just been having about Easter (goodies for baskets, egg hunts, chocolate bunnies and spring outfits) are so off base from what Easter truly is.  We often think of Valentine's Day as the holiday for love.  I have changed my mind about that tonight as I stared at my daughter sleeping overcome with love...and while trying to fathom how much God loves me.  Easter is the holiday of love.  God's unconditional love for me and mankind. 

Of course I will still fill Mary Harper's basket with fun goodies for the first time this year...but hope she always realizes the real reason we celebrate and just how much she is loved. 

He is Risen! He is Risen Indeed!


For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16.

1 comment:

Jane and Matthew said...

so true...Easter is my favorite holiday--I can't wait for Eli to be older so we can talk about the true reason for this holiday! You are way ahead of me; I need to order basket and outfit, but am waiting until I am done with his birthday craziness!